Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's been a year

I can't believe it has been over a year since I started writing this blog. My goal when I began this online journal was to put in writing all of the little moments that I don't ever, ever want to forget about my family. It was also my intent to put together a book of blog posts, so that we have something concrete to hold onto in the years to come. This last year marks Volume I of our journey together. However, before I put the first 'book' into print, I want to conclude with a few letters that I have written to some of the most important people in my life...



Dear Hannah,



You are the most amazing, caring and genuine little girl in the world. It is my hope and prayer that with each day, you remain the little girl that you are today. You are considerate and kind and want nothing but to make others around you happy.


This year, you have grown up so much. You have turned into my scooter-riding, soccer-playing, princess-loving, little girl. You are no longer a baby and you have changed into a little girl right before my very eyes.


There are days when I find myself staring into your huge blue eyes and wonder how on earth I got so lucky to have you in my life. Every day, you are filled with laughter and curiosity and genuine happiness. You are so well-mannered and so easily pleased. You have your daddy's easy-go-lucky attitude about life and you simply go with the flow. There is very little that gets you down and I honestly don't know if I have ever seen a little girl with more bumps and bruises on her legs and knees. Sweetheart, you play hard! And you love every second of it!


I have a feeling that this year is going to be filled with many stories about your first experiences on 'real sports teams' and blog posts about your last year in preschool before you start kindergarten. You are going to amaze your new teachers and make so many new friends this year.

I am so proud of you and I love you more than words can even describe. Let me try, though... I will borrow one of your lines: "I love you six-hundred fifty thousand, twenty six and three." Yes. I think that just about comes close, baby girl. I know this much for sure, though: I will love you forever and more than you'll ever know.


Love,

Mommy


____________________________


Dear Austin,


Wow, baby boy, this has been quite a year for you. You were only three months old when I started writing on this blog. Since then, we've experienced quite a lot with you. You truly are the light in my life. You are my baby boy. And, I don't care if right now, as I write this, you are toddlin' all around town; to me, you are my baby boy and you always will be.


You are such a determined and strong-willed little soul. You go after what you want and no one is going to change your mind about anything. You are such a truly happy little boy too. Your smile still melts my heart, each and every time I see it. And, that dimple is the icing on the cake. Today, you were playing in the driveway and walking away from me when you stopped, turned around and came running up to me with your lips puckered. You were making the "mmmmm...." kissing sound the whole way. You apparently just decided you needed a kiss. And I'll take them as often as I can get them. Sometimes, you just stop, give us a hug, and continue on with whatever you were doing. I see you do it to your sister all the time too. I know you love her so very much and it shows each and every day.


I haven't written much on this blog about your eating issues and all that you have been through with trying to figure them out. I guess I have felt like that is the last thing I want you to remember when you look back on all of this. But, I've decided that it has consumed a big part of our lives these past six months and it would be obviously absent if I didn't mention it. You've just started feeding therapy with a speech pathologist and they've determined that you do have a strong aversion to most foods. The cause is unknown, but it is likely due to all of the digestive issues that have caused you so much discomfort since you were just a teeny tiny little baby. Apparently, you've associated food with that pain and decided you don't want to eat it. And quite frankly, I can't blame you. I do think we are on the right track, now, though and we are going to get you the help you need. The best news that I have been given through all of this is that you are growing and developing right on track and that this little bump in the road hasn't slowed you down one bit. Of course it hasn't - that's just what makes you, you.


I just want to help you enjoy mealtimes more and have it be less of a struggle for both of us. I want nothing but the best for you and you deserve that. I will give anything and everything I have to make you the happiest, healthiest that I can. Please know that forever and always.


You are so precious to your daddy and to me and I hope that each and everyday you know that. I know that this year is going to bring with it a lot of independence for you as you go into your second year. I hope you explore and learn something new each and every day. I am so blessed to be there, right beside you every step of the way.


Love,

Mommy


_________________________



I know this blog is for my children and it is my way of making sure that we, as a family, have memories to cherish for years and years to come. However, I think I would forever regret it if I didn't put this last letter into writing too:


Dear Mike,


There are no words that can express my gratitude and my love for you. You are an amazing husband and an amazing father to our beautiful children. I am blessed to be able to share this journey with you.


I don't say it enough, but I need you to know that I am forever grateful that you enable me to stay at home with our children and experience all of these life-changing moments with them everyday.


I hope you know that it is because of you and all that you do for our family that Hannah, Austin and I live the charmed lives that we do. It is my only hope that you know that we cherish each and every day. I love you so much!


Love,

Cin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've loved following your blog over the last year, keeping up with what's happening in the Johnson household and in an attempt to feel closer to you all since I don't see you nearly as often as I would like.

Until today, I've always read and enjoyed but never written a formal comment, rather just making mention when we spoke next. Well, my dear friend, I can't help but to comment. I am so proud of you. You have such a beautiful, happy family and you are an AMAZING mom to those precious babies of yours! What a gift this blog will always be, chock full of stories, memories and the awesome moments in time that you capture with that camera of yours to live on forever.

I sure do love you and only wish we were closer so I could see you all more often!
xoxo,
Liz