Friday, July 8, 2011

Afore

At our wedding eight years ago, we had the pleasure of having Mike's grandfather, Pap, give a toast. I am fortunate enough that Mike's mom kept a copy of the toast and passed it on to us as a keepsake. I have loved re-reading it over the years. One of my favorite parts of the toast is when Pap recounts a story of Mike when he was little and riding in the car with his dad and his grandfather. In his grandfather's words...

"Jim was driving, Mike was sitting on the arm rest with me in the passenger seat. We were looking for a place that advertised auto parts and were in a strange part of town. Mike said 'You been here afore, Dad?' Jim said 'Yes.' We finally made a turn and Mike said again 'You been here afore, Dad?' Jim said 'No!' Mike looked at me and said 'We're lost!'

Fast forward to a few months ago when I was riding in the car with my kids. Out of nowhere Austin shouts from the backseat "Mommy, have you been here afore?" I almost ran the car off the road! Needless to say, this wasn't a one time coincidence. Austin uses the word 'afore' at least once a week. It's one of his words and I love it! I love how his daddy used to say it when he was little and I love it how Austin says it now. It honestly makes me smile each and every time I hear his sweet little voice say that sweet little word.

I sure do love these boys!

No comments: