Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sleepy, Sleepy

When I was pregnant with both Hannah and Austin, one of the things that Mike looked forward to the most was having his baby fall asleep on his chest. We all know that Mike loves to fall asleep on the couch. It could possibly be one of his favorite things to do. It happens almost every night at our house. So, quite reasonably, this was something he anxiously awaited with the arrival of our little ones.

Hannah was the perfect match for him. She LOVED sleeping on his chest. This was actually something that we would argue about in the evenings after we got home from work: "No, I want to hold her." "No, I want to... just for a minute." “No, you always get her.” So it went, back and forth like this until finally he ended up with his baby girl fast asleep on his chest. Not long thereafter, he was snoozing too.

This continued until Hannah was about 2 years old - approximately the same time she learned that if she didn't sit still, even for a millisecond, then she wouldn't fall asleep. Therefore, the days of snoozing with his baby girl were over. Until the other night... she was exhausted after a long day of fun and playing (is there any other kind of day for a three year old?) and she was watching some space shuttle show with her daddy (Mike's love for the space shuttle is another blog post in itself). It must have been too much for her to fight it any longer – and this was the end result (please excuse the quality - it was taken with my camera phone):
Talk about a happy daddy.

Now, with Austin, it is a bit of a different story. This kid really likes to sleep in his crib. Occasionally, you can rock him long enough into a trance that he will enjoy a nice slumber on you... but most times, he'd just prefer you put him down and let him be. When he isn't feeling too good, though, you may get lucky and benefit from a peaceful slumber on your chest. Like the other night, when he was a little under the weather with a recent cold, and Mike lulled him into falling asleep after his bottle:


I hope that in 10 years, I can write about how my children will still occasionally fall asleep on their daddy. Nothing makes my heart melt more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love hearing about these things....keep it coming. these are such sweet moments in life.

Anonymous said...

OK, so I have to admit, this is one of the things I love most too! Not necessarily for Brady to sleep on my chest, but to watch him sleep on his daddy's chest...which is one of daddy's most favorite things too! But, what I am most in awe of is how much little Hannah looks just like her beautiful mommy and how much Austin looks just like his handsome dad!

Love, Trina