Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A flower a day

Everyday when I pick Hannah up from her preschool, she hands me a flower (read: weed, clover, small blade of grass) before we ever leave her classroom. She carefully hand picks a flower for me each day while she is on the playground.

Today, as we are riding home, I asked her to tell me about her day. This is what she said:
"We didn't get to go to the pumpkin patch or on the hay ride because it was raining and we didn't get to go out on the playground (insert big sigh) and I am so, so sorry, Mommy, but I couldn't pick you a flower today because we didn't go outside."

She truly felt bad that I didn't get a flower today and I truly felt bad because I had yet to even notice. Honestly, on most days when she hands me the flower, I have my hands full with Austin and the place is so chaotic that I try to do everything I can just to get us out of there fast. I am sad to say that the flower can sometimes be a burden - just one more thing for good ole' mom to lug around.

Well, not anymore. I will cherish each and every flower (ahem, weed) that she brings me. She puts a lot of thought into that everyday. She is thinking of me during her fun time while she is playing with her friends. I know that won't always be the case.

How many girls can say they get flowers everyday? Man, I sure am the lucky one.

No comments: