Friday, June 27, 2008

Baby's Breath

I know this may sound rather strange, but I love, absolutely LOVE the smell of my baby's breath. It is such a pure, clean scent. It is rather difficult to describe because it is unlike any other smell I have ever encountered. It is reminiscent of my love for bottled scents like "fresh linen" or "mystic rain" (I think this name exists - and if it doesn't, it should). These are fragrances that I look for in anything that has a scent (body lotion, air fresheners, etc...) I simply love clean, fresh smells.

A baby's breath is very similar - clean and crisp. I know from experience that this won't last forever - and I would do anything if I could bottle up this scent and save it for those days which will inevitably come - the days when I long to hold my babies in my arms again.

Austin turned four months old yesterday and I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I am starting to realize that these are the 'last' 'firsts' that I will ever have a baby. With Hannah, I was sad to see them come and go, but I always hoped in the back of my mind that we would have another child - so it was as if there was no reason to be sad because there would be more 'firsts' in our future with another baby. But now, as our family is complete with with the four of us, I must admit that it is hard for me to think of these infant milestones coming to an end:

The last first smile.
The last first time my child rolls over.
The last first tooth.
The last first 'real food.'
The last first time my baby sits up.

The list could go on and on. And it will... as they grow up, there will be many other firsts to look forward to. I know that and I am excited for what the future holds.

For now, though, I just want to sit and smell the sweet breath of my baby boy and appreciate the here and now....

No comments: