Apparently, when you are a photographer and you get paid to take pictures of other people's families, you remember your camera during important moments (a portrait session, for example). On the contrary, when you are a photographer AND a mother, you may perhaps forget said camera during your own family's important moments (your daughter's first dance camp 'recital', for example).
Yes, you read that right, folks, I did not take my camera to Hannah's little performance. Nor, did I take my video camera. And worst of all, I didn't even think about taking either one, until I was waiting in the hall with all of the other moms and their plethora of memory-capturing equipment. It never occurred to me as I was leaving the house. Quite frankly, I feel rather lucky to have remembered to get Austin up from his nap and put him in the car... but I digress.
Fortunately, a few of my friends were there and offered to take some pictures of Hannah and email them to me. And, fortunately, nobody mentioned how absurd it is that I get paid to take pictures and I didn't even think to bring my own camera with me to photograph my own daughter.
There are moments when I realize that I am not going to get mother of the year. Many of them, actually. This one ranks right up there.
Needless to say... I am going to do better.
Hannah had a great time at the YMCA dance camp, although, I am not sure how much dancing actually took place for the five mornings she was there. She came home with lots of crafts and was always very dirty, but never could (or would) show me a solitary dance move.
Nor did she want to tell me about her day. I'd ask, "So how was dance camp today? What did you do?" She'd simply reply "I don't want to tell you about it now... I'll tell you later."
I have this looming anxiety that this may be what her teen years are going to be like... but probably on a much grander scale. Oh, what I have to look forward to...
Monday, June 23, 2008
Gotta do better...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Don't worry about any of this baby girl, in the grand scheme of life, things will only get worse...no just kidding. You are actually having a lot of moments just like me only mine are "senior moments" and yours are just "mommy moments" and they will get better. Just be glad you are able to have "moments"
Love, MOM
Post a Comment