Monday, June 9, 2008

Bits and Pieces

So, I thought it only appropriate to write a short post about Hannah's current breakfast routine. It occurred to me to do this when I was sitting in our bed with my two children this a.m., watching Hannah devour two blueberry waffles.


Yes, you read that right - in our bed. So, perhaps we got into a bad routine of letting her dine in our bed not long ago after Austin was born, although, it seemed like an ingenius idea at the time. These were back in the days when I was getting up with him every 3-4 hours and desperately needing a few more hours of sleep when the sun began to rise. Oh, and I must backtrack for a moment - to update you on our rule with Hannah and the mornings. Basically, it is simple - don't get out of your bed until it is light outside. Again, it seemed ingenius at the time - until Daylight Savings Time kicked in, though, and the sun comes up at an ungodly hour.


Hannah will appear in our room as soon as the sun comes up. I swear, she sits in her bed and watches the sunrise every morning, just counting the minutes until she can join us as we sleep. However, make note, she does not want to sleep - she wants to "watch George." That would be Curious George. This, too ,seemed like a good idea the first time we let her watch it. Now, though, it has become a slight obsession - but Hannah's obsessions are for another post, another day.


So, this leads me back to our idea of letting her consume her breakfast - and a very crumbly breakfast at that - in our bed. I needed some more sleep between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Hannah needed to eat between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Mike is getting ready to leave for work between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.


Voila - let's give her waffles in our bed, so that I can sleep for a few more hours and not have to get up and get her breakfast. Guess what neither of us thought of in advance? The amount of crumbs what would end up in our bed.... even when you make her eat on top of the comforter. I have determined that when a three year old eats, she leaves a crumb trail within a few hundred yards of wherever she was when she began the process. And yes, ladies and gentlemen, that process always starts in our bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun Cin and a lot less mess to clean up than syrup from 8 hands...chairs, hair...etc. too. I wish I could have talked the boys into letting me sleep....E-V-E-R...Hannah must be 100% angel!! Boys run and tackle at sunrise, then run all day...into each other usually with objects on purpose ha! XOXO

Anonymous said...

my grandmother that just passed away was famous for her "parties in the bed "crackers, popcorn, candy etc. and all the grandkids knew when you spent the night with her, you had to brush out all the crumbs first before you got in her bed. SUCH a wonderful memory we all have of her! Fun times.
So think of it as a "party in your bed" and that Hannah may treasure that time when she's older!
-joy